10.09.2009

Back in Dulles

I'm writing from Washington DC's international airport today, enjoying one last round of sushi before heading back to West Africa. Almost 2 weeks ago, I was packed and ready to return for another school year in Guinea but instead was told by Peace Corps to stay in Cleveland until they had news about whether or not Peace Corps volunteers will be staying in Guinea. On Monday, September 28th, 157 people were killed in Conakry, Guinea, by the military trying to break up a political protest against current president. Peace Corps made a decision last Saturday to move all volunteers out of Guinea to a neighboring West African Country to wait and see how the people and military of Guinea would react to all of this. Above all, we need to be safe and able to move in and out of Conakry; right now, that isn't possible. The other 90 or so volunteers of Guinea have already arrived to the site; everyone arrived safely. I will meet them there tomorrow and am anxious to see everyone again.

For now, we're not sure what is going to happen next. Return to Guinea? We all hope so, but we're not sure if that is going to happen. If we don't, we'll be presented with options of continuing with Peace Corps. I'm not even sure what those options will be; I just have to wait. Lots of waiting.

From what I hear from my friends already at the site, it seems very nice, but spirits are low. Many people were not in their villages when this all happened and did not get a chance to say goodbye to their families. This is true for me; I'm hopeful that one of my neighbors took a bike ride over to my village to explain all of this.

For now, here are a few of the latest articles about the situation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8298754.stm

Concerning when Dadis owns up to nothing and has no fear for the American:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/world/africa/07guinea.html?_r=1

He give an interview from his bed. He is the president of a country, in a situation where all eyes are on him. And he is in bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJ5RNCSM3w

Keep us in your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. dearest emily
    my posts seem to get lost
    you are in my heart

    sending you another letter
    I hope you received the last one

    love
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry. I was a PCV there too and it was hard enough to leave under normal circumstances, let alone without being able to say good bye.

    ReplyDelete