10.18.2009

Mali Update

Since arriving in Mali last weekend, I have no "official" news about my status as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guinea. However, the signs are not looking good in terms of our re-instatement. The Guinean military seems to still lack control, French and American citizens were told to leave, and President Camara has yet to declare he or any member of his party, the CNDD, will not run in the upcoming election. The African Union gave a deadline of midnight, September 17th, to sign a notice that he would not run for president, however he announced that he has postponed this decision:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8313290.stm

There are several Peace Corps personnel here from Washington DC who have been extremely helpful in figuring out what our options will be if we get official word that the Guinea program is to be suspended or closed. They seem to believe we'll know whether or not we're going back this week; after that we have about a week to decide on our next step and move out of Mali and on to our next job or position. There may be opportunities to transfer to other Peace Corps positions.

For me, in the midst of this, I often forget what is truly important and tragic in all of this - the fate of Guineans. My host family, students, friends, or Peace Corps employees - they have a long road to recovery. I am hopeful for them in that Guinea is finally on the map of the international community; in reality, the rule of Dadis is not that different than the previous leaders of Guinea; the tragedy of September 28th has shed light on a country that has been suffering for their 51 years of independence. This is the tragedy. As for me, I will move on to a new country or job back in the States without much difficulty; I never appreciated mobility before but being among those without it makes me realize what a gift it truly is.

1 comment:

  1. Hello I am from Senegal and actually based in New York city
    I am working on a Guinea website for the Fouta Djalon community in the Usa

    ReplyDelete