6.24.2008

last night in boston!

this is it!  the last night in my home for the last five years.  the past few weeks have been so bittersweet.  they have been joyous yet there is some sadness is saying goodbye. 

during the last week of school, we celebrated the math extravaganza...which turned into a celebration of all sorts.  my darling advisees and i (along with a few other advisories...) had a last day of school pizza dance party.  berdine really did it right.  i've been lucky to have visits from friends in the last weeks of boston life.  seattle, maine, burlington....lots of good meals and fun days out on the town.

this weekend friends and i went to the vineyard (my first visit) - a day of relaxation that i feel will be few and far between in these next few months.  the sun was hot and the water was swimmable (rare in new england.)  and last night the convent ladies and stacie threw a farewell soiree that had the rowers, the teachers, the convent, jcu gang, and family.  it was fabulous.  we even played bags.  

tonight i'm now sitting down after a day of packing the truck and sharing imperial pizza (the best!) with the ladies.   i just read through many of the cards and letters that friends have given, and, well, i'm overwhelmed with emotion.  i'm just so blessed.  having some friends help me move today - i would have never been able to do it without them.  i never really stop and think about the love i have in my life - i feel like i just float along, doing my thing - but i've been doing it among some pretty kick-ass people.  and soaking it all up over the past couple of weeks has just been a blast.  so thank you.  thank you!  THANK YOU!!  leaving TC today wasn't easy, saying goodbyes tonight was even harder...but it isn't goodbye really.  just "see you later!"

kristin gave me a birthday card this year & included a quote - i tore it out of the card and hung it in my room.  it was right in the beginning phases of my peace corps process...and in her card she included the same one...so i'll share with you:  

be brave enough to live life creatively.  the creative place is where no one else has been.  you have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.  you can't get there by bus, only by hard work and risk and by not quite knowing what you're doing.  what you'll discover will be wonderful.  what you'll discover will be yourself.  -alan alda

i really like this idea of self discovery through hard work and risk and by not quite knowing what you're doing.  its what brought me to boston, and that worked out pretty damn great.   

goodnight boston!  i hope to see you again soon.

8 comments:

  1. You're so brave, Emily! Enjoy your time in Cleveland and have a safe trip. Can't wait to read about all of your adventures. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeyyyyy! I loved reading your blog and plan on reading them as much as I can. Enjoy the rest of your time at home, and your 4th of July. I can't wait to read all about the adventures to come for you in Africa. You are an amazing person and I am so blessedd to know you. Stay safe and happy!
    Love always

    Your D.R Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - You are my hero! Enjoy every moment - soak it in in the amazing way you do - "just floating along". I can't imagine what your journey will carry you away to! You are in my prayers - and I can't wait to hear about the kids and see the pictures. Good luck and God bless!
    De

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Julie said...Heyyyyyy :]
    I know you leave in a few days so I just want to send one more good luck! I, just like everyone else, plan on checking your blog to read about all the new things you encounter. I hope your time home was restful and fun! Just remember you can do all of this, it's what you were born for.
    Keep in touch!
    Love,
    Another D.R. Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love ms samekk !!!!!!!! A period math :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey miss.samek, ive been hunting you down on the internet, but can i plz get ya email adress so we can arrange our get together....thanks!!!!....love ya =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my email is sherleentheodore@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunshine you better come back to mount!

    ReplyDelete