9.27.2008

Swearing In and Photos

Tonight I'm writing from the capital; we've been here for three days now. We said farewell to our families (sad!) and have spent a couple of days trying to purchase things for our homes. I move in on MONDAY! I officially passed my French exam (wahoo!) and have been sworn in as an offical Peace Corps Volunteer. We had the ceremony on Friday at the US Embassy. It was a lovely ceremony of speeches and oaths. Dan, our country director, and his wife Julia had a bbq for us at their home. It was a great day to celebrate and kick back before the moving begins.

Since I haven't written much, I'll leave you with another new slideshow - under the "Making Rice and Sauce" is the "First Photos of Guinea" slideshow. Most of my host family, some of practice school (and you don't have to tilt your head this time.)

Enjoy! The next time I'll be online will be in October. I'll have lots of stories of village life and the first days of school.

5 comments:

  1. It is not Sunday but I am sitting sipping hot tea and reading your latest updates. You paint such a gorgeous picture of your new world & your new opportunities - thank you for inviting me on the journey!
    Please keep your eyes open for some essentials coming your way - including rulers & compasses!

    Love,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. MS SAMEK ! I definitely miss stopping by your office everyday but I am glad to hear that all is well on your side of the universe. I'll be seeing you during my senior service =].

    Love alwaysz,
    Dora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ms. Samek!
    I wanted to know how you and the people of Guinea are doing. Over the last couple of weeks, I have been glued to my computer screen watching reports on how bad the American is getting and how bad it has yet to become. It made me think about how you and others in Guinea are dealing with a time of economic difficulty. I did some research recently on the D.R. economy, and reports say that it will only prosper form this as it will export more sugar to the U.S. and abroad.
    I hope you are doing well in the time you have been in Guinea and I hope that you are fully enjoying and experiencing a lifetime's worth of happiness doing what you love.

    Love,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Ms Samek!
    I am glad to see everything is going well overseas. The pictures look amazing. Congrats on passing your French Exams! C'etait tres bien!
    You are greatly missed by everyone in Boston. You still remain a huge influence for me, and anyone you came into contact with during your five years at TC. I have recently decided to become a High School history teacher, thanks to your great influence and leadership. I guess i had to repay the favor to society =].
    Its nice to see you got to cook overseas. The process looks like a blast with everything in its raw form (especially the chicken). I will have to try that sometime.
    Good luck with teaching! I hope you will teach your students the Y=Mx+B song. Does that translate to French? I hope. I know I will never forget the equation for finding the slope of an equation (or my C Period Algebra class).
    You are always in my thoughts and the thoughts of everyone at TC. Best of luck with teaching! God Bless. See you soon!

    Peace,
    Kevin Wong

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MISS YOU!! SO MUCH, IM LOST WITHOUT. I REALLY MISS YOU, NOTHING IS THE SAME, ITS ETRA HARD!!

    ReplyDelete